Archive | September 2012

The beginning of a headache

The beginning of a headache

This is Hannah right when a headache began. I know they have to hurt because she never cries like this 😦


Getting a bone marrow biopsy :(

For the last six months Hannah’s white blood cells have been abnormal. Her nuetrophils are always low with this last one being 282! Her platelets go from being too high one draw to to low the next, and her lymphocytes are always really high. The doctors have been doing a wait and see approach and she is constantly sick. This last Sunday we were at her birthday party when all of the sudden she started crying and holding her head. She would barely open her eyes and when i picked her up she was burning up. We went home and gave her tylenol but for the next three days her fever ranged from 101.5 to 104.7 and she would cry so bad constantly holding her head. She has several swollen lymph nodes in her head that have been there for several months without going down.Took her to the ER on monday where they gave her some antibiotics and sent her home. Wednesday we took her in to see the pediatrician because she seemed to be getting worse and they were very concerned. Dr Christy thought she might have had an infection in her brain and told us to go home and pack a bag and then go straight to the hospital where they would do some blood work and probably transfer her to Denver.

     When we got to the hospital they drew blood, used a catheter to get urine, did chest xrays, and a ct of her head. When the results came back they didn’t think she was critical enough to be transfered but said that her platelets were a little low and she was severely neutropenic. The sent the blood out for a perepheral smear and told us that she would probably need a bone marrow biospy to check for blood cancers and other things. 

     Well, we got the results back and it showed that Hannah has Leukopenia with Nuetropenia, low platelets, normochromic microcytic anemia and atypical lympocyes. We are now going back to the children’s hospital in Denver on Tuesday and she will see the hematologist/oncologist on Wednesday morning and then have a bone marrow biopsy and aspiration after that. She will also see her neurologist on Thursday morning to see why she is having all of these headaches. Here is a pic of her when the headaches begin. She looks absolutely miserable. 😦

This entry was posted on September 27, 2012. 1 Comment

Our flight was cancelled and we missed Hannah’s appointments

Hannah has a neurology appointment tomorrow morning to check on the hydrocephalus and another one in the afternoon to check on the helmet and see if there has been anymore improvement. We were scheduled to fly out this morning with angel flight and back on Wednesday with footprints in the sky. We found out late last night that her return flight was cancelled so we then had to cancel her flight out this morning. I am so bummed out about it. I really wanted to see if there was an improvement and see how everything looks in her brain. We were also supposed to see my youngest son’s neurologist wednesday morning to talk about a new surgery to correct the epilepsy. I feel horrible not being able to get them there. I know it’s important for her to not go more then a month without having the doctor check and adjust the helmet. I can’t do much on Labor day but tomorrow morning i will call and see if there is a way to get down next week. 

    On a good note, we did a fundraiser for Hannah at Montanna Mikes on Thursday and had a lot better turn out then expected. We only had two days to invite people so we only had 11 people show up but, she made enough off those 11 people to pay for her next trip down. 🙂 We want to thank everyone who came and everyone who has supported Hannah through thoughts, Prayers, well wishes, visits, and donations! You are all very special to us!